Eating is personal. We all do it. We can’t live without it.
In many parts of the world there is not enough food and people have no choices in what to eat.
In other parts of the world people can make diet choices based on what they value and consider important.
Why people choose what to eat what they do include these five reasons. Their preferences in taste, desire for health, affordability, global consciousness, and concern for animals. In each of these, eating plant based meals has many advantages. This article briefly summarizes why it is good for the individual and humanity to eat more vegan.
Five reasons for eating more vegan
- Vegan food is Delicious. There are endless possibilities for creativity in a vegan cuisine.
- Healthy “Nowadays, plant-based eating is recognized as not only nutritionally sufficient but also as a way to reduce the risk for many chronic illnesses.” says a report from the Harvard Health Publication.
- Better for the Earth and Future Generations Eating vegan has the smallest carbon footprint. By not having meat in their diet vegans are not part of the livestock – meat industry that is so harmful to the environment. The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization paper on Livestock’s Role in Climate Change and Air Pollution “Livestock’s Long Shadow” describes the many ways that raising animals for people to eat causes damage to the world which may never be repaired. Globally, a vegan diet is more sustainable than a meat based diet, according to an article in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The vast resources, including land and water, that are necessary to raise the meat for a growing world population contributes to the amount of starvation and malnutrition in the world.
- Vegans do no harm to animals. The treatment of the animals that become meat is a cruelty vegans are not a part of.
- Being a vegan is more economical. It’s not just that vegetables are less expensive than meat in the store, it’s also that much less of your tax dollars are used to subsidize farmers for growing vegetables for people than for the raising of livestock.
For these reasons, many of which are backed by scientific research, it is good for the individual and the world to have a more vegan diet.